Today I woke up with a bad stomachache so I didn’t get to
the clinic until 9:15. But they still weren’t doing anything! They were still
just eating breakfast. There just weren’t any patients to take the test.
Although there isn’t any action, this means that I haven’t missed anything,
which is good. I’ve done almost all of the tests today - about 20 or so. I’ve
done pretty well and have only messed up on people who I couldn’t see the vein
at all was just going in blind. I was like, “I shouldn’t do this one I don’t
know where I'm going” but Sol (one of the morning nurses) was like, “no you do
it you have to learn.” Poor guy. He’ll definitely have a bruise.
Sol is not
as nice as the guys from the afternoon or ever the other morning nurse
Guadalupe. She is extremely curt. She never raises her voice, but in her own
words she teaches with strong words but she teaches. It’s just how she is. It’s
good for me though because that’s for sure how residency and med school will be.
I don’t like yelling one but and I do not preform well with people mad or upset
with me. So I’m glad I'm learning to learn with meanies. She means well, I
know, its just very stressful. Its good to learn with that disappointed kind of
pressure.
The
afternoon is much better than the morning. They are at the same time more and
less relaxed. They aren’t as rude to patients and therefore they rush around a
little more in the afternoon. But, at the same time, the guy in the afternoon
treats me as a equal and doesn’t freak-out as much if I forget to turn of the agitator
and ask him to do it for me so I don’t move around with a needle in a patients
arm.
I was going
to leave at 2:00 but then there were a ton of patients and who could leave that?! So I stayed until 4:30. But, the moment I got
my purse it started pouring. I was stuck in the building until 7:00 when the
rain finally let up because I just had my scrubs and no umbrella or rain
jacket. I really didn’t want my phone in my cloth purse to get ruined so I just
waited it out. When I did leave, I had been at the clinic for 10 hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment