Thursday, August 1, 2013

7.31.13

Our second day in the clinic was pretty even keeled compared to the day before. The big highlight of the day was a crazy diabetic patient that came in. She went into a diabetic coma when her blood sugar dropped but once we gave her glucose she started waking up. But, as she gained consciousness she became pretty violent. She kicked her bed away from the wall and was swinging her fits. She clocked me in the arm and then tried to take out her IV. I called Decs over to help me control her and from then on she wouldn’t talk to me at all. She would only talk to “the pretty doctor” aka Decs. He talked for her for about 20 minutes until she finished the IV bag and then he walked her to the door.  A couple minutes later the policeman stationed in the clinic walked up to Decs and gave him a pink sticky-note. On it was her number and a note that said “I would love to get to know you better” with a heart and her phone number. I got quite a kick out of it; finally I wasn’t the one with the stalker.

I also did my first two official stitches. I'm having trouble remembering them, but they were completely unsupervised on an unsuspecting guy. I'm pretty sure it was a guy. Ehh maybe not. I can’t remember. But they went in uneventfully.


There weren’t many emergencies so I shadowed the pediatrician a lot. She doesn’t acknowledge or let you talk but she does teach a lot, especially if you ask her questions point blank. The vast majority of the cases in the ER that day were kids.

It was also my Grandma's 80th birthday! I was able to get skype working and give her a call when I got back from the clinic. It was so nice to talk to her. Happy Birthday Gum :)

PS How could I have forgotten the purple finger! It was truly baffling. A guy came in with a bright purple finger! He said it was some type of medicine, but I've never seen such bright "medicine"
I did my best to scrub off the purple so when the flap of skin re-attached to his finger he wouldn't have a purple tattoo. Truly bizarre. 


No comments:

Post a Comment